We may not believe in Santa anymore, but the holiday season still holds a kind of magic. Something about the twilight period between the end of one year and the dawn of another makes us open to new possibilities, even ones that may seem out of reach.
This December, our engineering team hand-crafted some special features to help you dream big for 2017. See what they’ve been up to in the workshop!
Magic Embedded Objects
Last month, we introduced embedded objects. This month, we made them magic!
What does “magic” mean in a cloud-based SaaS platform context? Fewer hoops to jump through:
|The Original Embed Process||The Magic Embed Process|
A Very Important Caveat: This new magic embed process only works with supported oEmbed sources, including:
If you want to include other media sources, you’ll have to follow the original embed process. Sorry, friends—our spellcasting abilities are only so powerful.
Magic Pinned Objects
Before this release, we allowed you to pin Smart Groups. This was great for things like navigation menus, but not so useful for other types of design objectives.
Now, you can pin any individual object on the canvas in addition to Smart Groups, opening the door to greater creative possibilities. We can’t wait to see what you pin!
An Important Note: Pinned objects, whether a single item or a Smart Group, will only work in standalone and scrolling Experiences. We’re looking into how to achieve pins on a Full Height embed (trust us, we want this too). We’ll report back with an update after we’ve done our homework.
Additional Platform Enhancements
- Experience Deletion: Before, it was too easy to delete an Experience by accident. We changed the process so it’s a bit more shouty, preventing you from accidentally trashing your content (and saving our engineering team from having to go fish it out of the virtual dumpster).
- Memory Optimization: Using brain games, ginkgo biloba, and code, we’ve improved the memory performance of live content so it loads more seamlessly for viewers.
- Text Rendering in Previews: Prior to this release, text elements would sometimes disappear or look distorted if you opened Font Explorer or changed fonts to a narrower style. Now, the Preview should reflect what you see in the Studio.
- Scrolling Anchors and Hidden Objects: Before, if you clicked an object to scroll to an anchor, and then hid the object, the object would reappear when scrolling back to the top of the page. Now, it stays hidden in the Canvas Upside-Down.
- Opacity Bug—Squashed!: Nope, you’re not experiencing deja vu. Back in October, we rolled out a fix for an issue where the opacity of an object would default to 1 if you clicked on it after changing the opacity of another object. Unfortunately, our original fix caused even more issues, and we had to roll it back. This bug should now be squashed for good.
- Squirrely Drop Shadows: Previously, when you rotated an object with a drop shadow applied, the shadow moved around randomly (kind of like Peter Pan’s shadow). Now, the shadow stays locked to the object, as one would expect.
Share Your Feedback
Have an idea for a new product feature or improvement? We’d love to hear your thoughts. You can share feedback and vote on existing ideas via our brand new Ideas Portal any time!